Studies in Canada are a dream for many people around the world. Canada’s world-class schools are a great investment for a person’s future career. 

At the same time, opportunities that Canada offers in terms of the possibility to stay permanently are difficult to compete with. 

But where do you start, how do you qualify? 

Read on to find out what are the study in Canada requirements to be successful in your journey.

About Canada Study Permits

Most foreign nationals need a study permit in order to study in Canada. A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), which can be obtained through an application submitted to a Canadian embassy or consulate abroad. Applicants who need visa to enter Canada will be issued, along with a study permit, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), which serves solely to allow the foreign national enter Canada.

Who Does Not Need a Study Permit?

Generally, a study permit is not required for:

Other exemptions apply to family members and members of the private staff of foreign diplomatic representatives and to some members of foreign country armed forces in Canada.

Can Family Members Accompany an Applicant to Canada?

Spouses and common-law partners may be able to obtain an open work permit and engage in an employment while the principal applicant is studying. Minor children may be able to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools. Learn more.

Can I Work While Studying?

If you meet the requirements to obtain a study permit, you may be able to work on-campus or off campus. Refer to section Choose a School to learn more about the specific requirements for working while studying in Canada.

Study in Canada Requirements

Study in Canada requirements are an important starting point for all study permit applicants. In order to qualify for a study permit, you must:

  • obtain a letter of acceptance from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  • obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (certificat d’acceptation du Quebec, or CAQ) (Applicable only to students destined for Quebec)
  • provide evidence that you have enough funds to pay for the first year of tuition and living expenses as well as return transportation
  • satisfy Canadian immigration authorities that you will leave Canada at the end of the period authorized by the study permit (i.e. Study Plan & Genuine Intent).
  • be admissible to Canada (police background checks, biometric information and/or a medical may be requested)

Minimum Funds

To a great extend, available funds are the most important factor in the decision whether a study permit application will be approved. Firstly, the applicant must have sufficient funds to show an ability to pay for the school tuition for the first year as well as living expenses and transportation to and from Canada. Secondly, funds that exceed the minimum requirements may play a positive role in providing evidence that the applicant has means to live off upon completion of studies and thus there is less of a risk that the applicant would not leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay.

Study in Canada Requirements Proof of financial support IRCC

Tuition at Canadian Post-secondary Schools

Low End

(Occupational Colleges)

Tuition Per Year

High End

(Universities: Engineering Medicine)

Tuition Per Year

$10,000 CAD    

$32,000 CAD

Minimum funds: all provinces except Quebec

Persons coming to Canada

Amount of funds required per year (additional to the tuition)

Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)

You (the student)



First family member



For each additional accompanying family member



Minimum funds for Quebec

Persons coming to Canada

Amount of funds required per year (additional to the tuition)

Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)

You (the student)



First family member (18 years or older)



First family member (under the age of 18)



Every additional accompanying family member (18 years or older)



Every additional accompanying family member (under the age of 18)