The Canadian Experience Class is a popular immigration program for candidates with skilled Canadian work experience. As one of the three programs managed under the Express Entry system, it provides a fast-track pathway towards permanent residence.

Who is Canadian Experience Class for?

The key requirement of the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is to have at least one year of skilled work experience from Canada. This experience must be within the last three years prior to applying for permanent residence. This means that a candidate does not have to be in Canada to qualify as long as he/she has the required experience. 

Ideal for Temporary Foreign Worker and International Graduates

This program is, however, ideal for temporary foreign workers and international graduates currently working in Canada. Skilled foreign workers on an LMIA Work Permit or on work permit that is LMIA-exempt will benefit from extra points if they secure a valid job offer. On the other hand, international graduates may obtain the required one year of experience while working on their Post-Graduation Work Permit. In addition, international graduates often benefit from solid language ability and post-secondary education. As a result, they receive extra points under the Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

Canadian Experience Class Requirements

Verifying whether a candidate meets the Canadian Experience Class requirements is the first step in assessing the person’s eligibility under Express Entry. If you meet the requirements below, you will still need to obtain sufficient points under the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to have a chance to be drawn from the Express Entry’s pool of qualified applicants.

To qualify under Canadian Experience Class you must:

Submit Your Resume (CV)

Are you looking for a job in Canada? Leave with us your resume for consideration by Canadian employers.

Language Ability

In order to qualify, candidates must demonstrate their language skills (English and/or French) through one of the Approved Language Exams. Your results are then converted to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) levels. Candidates with experience in higher skilled jobs in NOC 0 and A (managerial and professional jobs) must prove their ability at CLB 7 (Canadian Language Benchmark). Candidates in NOC B level (technical jobs and skilled trades) require CLB 5.  It is mandatory to score at least CLB 7 or 5 level respectively for each of the abilities: writing, reading, listening and speaking. See the Equivalency Table for comparing your score to CLB levels.

Work Experience

All applicants under Canada Experience Class must:

Your experience must be skilled, which means:

  • NOC 0 (zero) Managerial Jobs (e.g. purchasing managers, food service manager, managers in health care, etc.)
  • NOC A Professional Jobs (e.g. financial analysts, architects, human resources specialists, etc.)
  • NOC B Technical Jobs and Skilled Trades (e.g. hotel supervisors, heavy duty mechanics, cooks, etc.)


Under Canadian Experience Class, there is no requirement for specific education. This means that even applicants without a secondary education (high school) may apply. However, post-secondary education is a substantial contributor of points under the Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System. If you have foreign education and would like to receive points for it, you will need to obtain an assessment report from one of the Approved Agencies (i.e. Designated Organizations)

Do I Need to Show a Proof of Funds?

No, under the Canadian Experience Class requirements, you do not need to prove available funds for settlement in Canada.

Valid Job Offer Requirements

Although it is not required, some candidates may want to secure a job offer from a Canadian employer. A valid job offer can provide much needed additional points for the applicant in Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). 

In order to receive extra points, you must have a valid job offer. This means that the offer is:

  • made by one employer
  • for continuous, paid, full-time work (at least 30 hours a week)
  • for a non-seasonal job
  • offering employment for at least one year after the permanent residence is approved
  • in a skilled occupation in levels NOC 0, A or B

Your job offer must be further supported by:

  • a new positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that names you and the position, which you are being offered OR
  • you are currently working in Canada in the skilled job (e.g. NOC 0, A or B) and you have a work permit that was issued based on a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment. Your permit is valid and you are working for the employer listed on the document, and you have been offered a job by your current employer OR
  • you have a work permit that is exempt from requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment; and you currently work for the employer specified on your work permit in NOC 0, A or B occupation; you have worked for this employer full-time for at least one year (or part-time equivalent) and you have a job offer from this employer.